Skip to main content

Old Times Good Times

It's hit and miss when ordering used vinyls through discogs.  For the most part, I've been satisfied with what I have received, but occasionally the sellers stretch the condition of the media and sleeve condition.  Such was the case with a recent copy of Stephen Sills self-titled first album, with special appearances by Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton.  The sleeve was in pretty bad shape, corner cut out, tape marks, and some writing on the cover, but the seller still listed it as VG.

I've slowly assembled an album collection again.  I've got over 200 titles up in the attic, which I play from time to time on my Rega Planar 1 turntable.  I had initially thought of buying a used turntable, but after all the problems my son and I had with the old Pioneer turntable I bought him, I figured it was best to start fresh, and I haven't been disappointed.  The Rega plays great!  I moved the turntable upstairs as Daina doesn't really appreciate my taste of music.  She was having a hard time seeing what I saw in REM's Electrolite the other day.  It was mostly Michael Stipe's voice she couldn't stand.  I decided to go with the 25th anniversary copy of New Adventures in Hi-Fi, released last year.  Hard to believe it was that long ago.

I remembered I was visiting a friend in Birmingham to see the Alabama-Florida football game.  His girlfriend was heavily into REM.  It was the first I heard of them.  It was 1987.  Emmitt Smith broke lose for nearly 200 yards against the Tide.  I became a big fan of REM (Emmitt too).  Their music a pleasant departure from the Jackson mania at the time.  Seemed like every Jackson had an album out.  We were tossing some of the 45s from the balcony of our fraternity house to passersby on the street, shouting free record give away.  When some saw what they got they threw the 45s back at us.  A game of frisbee ensued.  

Unfortunately, REM seemed to flame out pretty quickly.  New Adventures was the last album I remember listening to.  I think they were a big influence on the Dave Matthews Band and other groups to arise in the 90s.  I became a big DMB fan as well.  Daina similarly can't stand them.

Getting back to Stills, I was attracted to all the guests he had join him on the album.  Of course Stephen was a consummate guitarist in his own right.  When CSN was scheduled to play at Woodstock, Stephen wanted to bring Neil Young in, as he was currently in between bands.  Crosby and Nash didn't see how his vocals would fit in with them, to which Stephen said, "unfortunately neither one of you can play guitar, and we need a second guitarist."  Lots of second guitarists on this album..  I saw recently that Hendrix cut quite a few songs with Stephen but only one made the album, Old Times Good Times.  Stephen plays a pretty mean organ on this song.

It's funny because Stills is probably the one people think of least on CSNY, yet he was far and away the most talented in my mind.  His album Manassas is a gem.  Neil Young comes close, but I don't think is as good all around instrumentalist as is Stephen.  However, their work together on Buffalo Springfield is some of the best music to come out of that era.  Love this short video.  I never understood the Beatlemania either, as there was so much good music coming out of San Francisco and Laurel Canyon in the 60s.  I probably would have been tossing their 45s from the balcony had a grown up in that era.

That's why I think a reissue of Stephen Stills first solo album is in order.  Hard to believe there isn't even a decent reissue.  So many artists are resurrecting their early albums with all the outtakes and reissuing them on multi-vinyl box sets.  Would love to hear more from Stephen and Jimi.  Stephen and Eric too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O Pioneers!

It is hard not to think of Nebraska without thinking of its greatest writer.  Here is a marvelous piece by Capote, Remembering Willa Cather . I remember seeing a stage production of O Pioneers! and being deeply moved by its raw emotions.  I had read My Antonia before, and soon found myself hooked, like Capote was by the simple elegance of her prose and the way she was able to evoke so many feelings through her characters.  Much of it came from the fact that she had lived those experiences herself. Her father dragged the family from Virginia to Nebraska in 1883, when it was still a young state, settling in the town of Red Cloud. named after one of the great Oglala chiefs.  Red Cloud was still alive at the time, living on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, in the aftermath of the "Great Sioux Wars" of 1876-77.  I don't know whether Cather took any interest in the famous chief, although it is hard to imagine not.  Upon his death in 1909, he was eulogi

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

  Welcome to this month's reading group selection.  David Von Drehle mentions The Melting Pot , a play by Israel Zangwill, that premiered on Broadway in 1908.  At that time theater was accessible to a broad section of the public, not the exclusive domain it has become over the decades.  Zangwill carried a hopeful message that America was a place where old hatreds and prejudices were pointless, and that in this new country immigrants would find a more open society.  I suppose the reference was more an ironic one for Von Drehle, as he notes the racial and ethnic hatreds were on display everywhere, and at best Zangwill's play helped persons forget for a moment how deep these divides ran.  Nevertheless, "the melting pot" made its way into the American lexicon, even if New York could best be describing as a boiling cauldron in the early twentieth century. Triangle: The Fire That Changed America takes a broad view of events that led up the notorious fire, noting the gro

Colonel

Now with Colonel Roosevelt , the magnum opus is complete. And it deserves to stand as the definitive study of its restless, mutable, ever-boyish, erudite and tirelessly energetic subject. Mr. Morris has addressed the toughest and most frustrating part of Roosevelt’s life with the same care and precision that he brought to the two earlier installments. And if this story of a lifetime is his own life’s work, he has reason to be immensely proud.  -- Janet Maslin -- NY Times . Let the discussion begin!