Skip to main content

Fuck Jamie Oliver!

Or When Is a Carrot Cake not a Carrot Cake



My wife knows I have a hard time not making comments any time she lands on Jamie Oliver on the television.  She isn't as turned off by him as I am, as she is always curious in new recipes.  At the height of his pretentious he tried to teach American kids how to eat right with his so-called "food revolution."  It may have done some good, but  Jamie is to food what Dr. Oz is to medicine.  However, I will never forgive him for that awful carrot cake recipe he had in a cookbook someone once gave me for my birthday.  I wanted to throw the cookbook away but my wife wouldn't let me.

The cooking phenomena is really something.  There is no end to cooking shows and cooking competitions on television, not to mention all the cookbooks that have flooded the market.  Every celebrity seems to have a cookbook, even Snoop Dogg.  I suppose it comes after spending so much time with fellow ex-felon Martha Stewart. I venture to say Snoop is probably a better cook than Jamie Oliver.

The same is true in Lithuania.  There is no shortage of homegrown cooking shows on television with companion cookbooks in the local bookstores.  My wife and I tend to watch Beata, who has her own food line as well.  Really like her breads.  I'm waiting for our notorious rapper Sel to come out with a cookbook of his own, but for the time being he is plugging RC cola, which made its way to Lithuania shortly before the pandemic, and seems to be catching hold in the country.

So, what is it with cooking?  Why is it so popular?  Do people really have so much time on their hands that they are willing to spend the whole afternoon in the kitchen cooking up some fancy meal they see on television?

Not me.  I've always preferred simple meals that take less than 30 minutes to prepare.  I don't mind putting a chicken to roast in the oven or slow cooking a pot of black beans on the stove because they don't require much attention.  But, all these elaborate meals I see on My Kitchen Rules, no thanks!  I simply don't have the patience for that sort of thing.  I would rather enjoy a good meal like that in a restaurant.

My wife, however, enjoys testing herself, often past the breaking point in putting out big meals on special occasions.  We go through this every Easter and Christmas.  Why not keep it simple this year, I ask her?  One year she let me try it.  It was Christmas Eve, which is traditionally a fish dinner in Lithuania, so I said I'll make paella.  I thought it came out quite nicely, but her parents and brother were shocked.  How could you mock Kučos in this way?  There are supposed to be 12 separate fish dishes, ranging from sardine appetizers to a stuffed carp, all of which she had painstakingly prepared before.  Who tortures their loved ones in this way!

OK, I do spend at least three hours making pumpkin pies every year, which has become a Thanksgiving tradition, which is around the same time as my birthday.  I don't mind so much because it is one time of year.  I do it all from scratch.  No canned pumpkin and no frozen pie shell from the supermarket.  I follow my mother's recipe, which had been passed down to her by her mother.  So, it has special meaning to me.  Otherwise, it is smoked salmon salads, stir-fried potato dishes and steaks on the grill.  My wife enjoys anytime I take over in the kitchen.

I tried to change things up one Thanksgiving and make a carrot cake because I love it so much.  I had a pretty good idea how it should be made, but wasn't sure so I decided to consult Jamie Oliver.  I could see from the start this wasn't going to work out, and sure enough the batter was runny as hell.  I added more flour but nothing seemed to be working.  I ended up with a somewhat tasty mess, which perfectly describes Jamie, but that's not what I wanted for dessert.  Never again, I said.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O Pioneers!

It is hard not to think of Nebraska without thinking of its greatest writer.  Here is a marvelous piece by Capote, Remembering Willa Cather . I remember seeing a stage production of O Pioneers! and being deeply moved by its raw emotions.  I had read My Antonia before, and soon found myself hooked, like Capote was by the simple elegance of her prose and the way she was able to evoke so many feelings through her characters.  Much of it came from the fact that she had lived those experiences herself. Her father dragged the family from Virginia to Nebraska in 1883, when it was still a young state, settling in the town of Red Cloud. named after one of the great Oglala chiefs.  Red Cloud was still alive at the time, living on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota, in the aftermath of the "Great Sioux Wars" of 1876-77.  I don't know whether Cather took any interest in the famous chief, although it is hard to imagine not.  Upon his death in 1909, he was eulogi

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

  Welcome to this month's reading group selection.  David Von Drehle mentions The Melting Pot , a play by Israel Zangwill, that premiered on Broadway in 1908.  At that time theater was accessible to a broad section of the public, not the exclusive domain it has become over the decades.  Zangwill carried a hopeful message that America was a place where old hatreds and prejudices were pointless, and that in this new country immigrants would find a more open society.  I suppose the reference was more an ironic one for Von Drehle, as he notes the racial and ethnic hatreds were on display everywhere, and at best Zangwill's play helped persons forget for a moment how deep these divides ran.  Nevertheless, "the melting pot" made its way into the American lexicon, even if New York could best be describing as a boiling cauldron in the early twentieth century. Triangle: The Fire That Changed America takes a broad view of events that led up the notorious fire, noting the gro

Colonel

Now with Colonel Roosevelt , the magnum opus is complete. And it deserves to stand as the definitive study of its restless, mutable, ever-boyish, erudite and tirelessly energetic subject. Mr. Morris has addressed the toughest and most frustrating part of Roosevelt’s life with the same care and precision that he brought to the two earlier installments. And if this story of a lifetime is his own life’s work, he has reason to be immensely proud.  -- Janet Maslin -- NY Times . Let the discussion begin!