Skip to main content

Everyone feeling happy!


Summer always begins with such optimism.  Even the rain didn't bother me as I ran the Vilnius 10K, which serves as an opening salute to the warm weather everyone has been looking forward to all winter.  It was actually quite refreshing as the temperature had peaked at nearly 30 that day, which for Lithuania is a heat wave.

The event attracts more and more runners every year.  The numbering was a bit deceiving as I was 21206.  There were actually just over 5000 participants.  I hadn't done enough to get in shape and had to take a break at the 7,5 km mark but got myself going again, with people still gathered at the finish line cheering us stragglers along.  

I got my medal, a bottle of water, an energy bar and walked home along the river, where the runners completing the half marathon course were starting to filter back into the Old Town.  Some looked at me perplexedly as I had the medal hanging from my neck, which was the same for whatever distance you ran.  So, they thought I was probably one of the top finishers.  I let them think that with a wry smile.

Since the pandemic, Vilnius has been attracting a lot of young people back to the city, who have given it a breath of fresh air in the number of start-ups that have increased dramatically.  It has become a very vibrant city that was recently ranked as the happiest country among Millennials and Zoomers in the world.  I made sure to pass this article along to my daughters in Australia, hoping to lure them back.

Of course you have to take such indices with a grain of salt.  As one young person interviewed in the article said, that happiness can be taken away at a moment's notice.  There is still a lot of anxiety over Russia but for Lithuania's 20-somethings that is something they don't fully understand as they have lived in a free country since birth.  It wasn't the same for Daina, who grew up in Soviet Lithuania, and so that anxiety of losing that freedom is still very strong, as it is for most 50-somethings.  Yet, life has improved significantly for older generations as well.  

While the pay scale hasn't kept up with the cost of living, it is much better now.  Even still many young people dream of starting their own businesses where they can be their own boss.  Successes like Vinted have inspired this generation.  It has given rise to a wide range of eateries and coffee bars that didn't exist before, allowing you to sample pretty much any food you like.  Vegan restaurants have become very popular although I'm not so much smitten by them as is my youngest daughter.  

That diversity is also reflected in the ever-changing demographics.  There are more and more immigrants from Asian, African and South American countries.  Young persons are more open to the new arrivals than are older persons.  Daina is always remarking on how quickly immigrants profiled on television pick up Lithuanian compared to me, as I continue to struggle with the language 26 years later.  Although I have to say I have improved recently, but I'm too old to be profiled these days.

We watch as our profession is taken over by the younger generation.  It doesn't bother me as we still get plenty of projects.  Nevertheless, it is kind of funny to hear them talk about sustainable design as if they are pioneers when I had been promoting it in this country ever since I came in 1997.  At one point I was teaching architecture at Vilnius Gediminas University, so I like to think I inspired this generation a little bit myself.  Let's hope they make it a better place than how they found it.

Time will tell.  There is still much room for improvement in the city.  It has spread out in such a chaotic nature that it is going to take some creative and clever thinking to rein it back in again and make it function as a vibrant whole.  

In the meantime, I just enjoy the warm weather.  It is very fleeting and all too soon I will be bracing myself against the "Siberian clipper," as I call it, when the cold winds blow in from the Northeast in late fall and turn the city back into an icy set of hazards, which is usually when I put up my running shoes and take my calisthenics indoors.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire

  Welcome to this month's reading group selection.  David Von Drehle mentions The Melting Pot , a play by Israel Zangwill, that premiered on Broadway in 1908.  At that time theater was accessible to a broad section of the public, not the exclusive domain it has become over the decades.  Zangwill carried a hopeful message that America was a place where old hatreds and prejudices were pointless, and that in this new country immigrants would find a more open society.  I suppose the reference was more an ironic one for Von Drehle, as he notes the racial and ethnic hatreds were on display everywhere, and at best Zangwill's play helped persons forget for a moment how deep these divides ran.  Nevertheless, "the melting pot" made its way into the American lexicon, even if New York could best be describing as a boiling cauldron in the early twentieth century. Triangle: The Fire That Changed America takes a broad view of events that led up the notorious fire, noting the gro

Dylan in America

Whoever it was in 1969 who named the very first Bob Dylan bootleg album “Great White Wonder” may have had a mischievous streak. There are any number of ways you can interpret the title — most boringly, the cover was blank, like the Beatles’ “White Album” — but I like to see a sly allusion to “Moby-Dick.” In the seven years since the release of his first commercial record, Dylan had become the white whale of 20th-century popular song, a wild, unconquerable and often baffling force of musical nature who drove fans and critics Ahab-mad in their efforts to spear him, lash him to the hull and render him merely comprehensible. --- Bruce Handy, NYTimes ____________________________________________ I figured we can start fresh with Bob Dylan.  Couldn't resist this photo of him striking a Woody Guthrie pose.  Looks like only yesterday.  Here is a link to the comments building up to this reading group.

The Age of Roosevelt: The Crisis of the Old Order

A quarter of a century, however, is time enough to dispel some of the myths that have accumulated around the crisis of the early Thirties and the emergence of the New Deal. There is, for example, the myth that world conditions rather than domestic errors and extravagances were entirely responsible for the depression. There is the myth that the depression was already over, as a consequence of the ministrations of the Hoover Administration, and that it was the loss of confidence resulting from the election of Roosevelt that gave it new life. There is the myth that the roots of what was good in the New Deal were in the Hoover Administration - that Hoover had actually inaugurated the era of government responsibility for the health of the economy and the society. There is the contrasting myth (for myths do not require inner consistency) that the New Deal was alien in origins and in philosophy; that - as Mr. Hoover put it - its philosophy was "the same philosophy of government which